Development Control (Planning) can be very complex to understand. More specialised information can be accessed by visiting the Planning Portal. Alternatively you may wish to view our ‘Easy Guide’,

Is it Development?
In the first instance it is important to establish whether Planning Permission is required. Development under Planning Legislation is defined in Section 55 of the Town and Country Planning Act (as amended) as the ‘carrying out of any building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any building or other land’.

Internal works which do not affect the external appearance of the building and the use of any building or other land where it is part of the curtilage (garden) of a dwelling for any purpose related to its residential use. In certain circumstances, for example where a Listed Building is concerned, consent for internal works may be required. 

Is it development that requires Planning Permission?
Some types of development do not require specific Planning Permission. This is referred to as Permitted Development (as specified by the Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development Order 1988). If your proposals cannot be classed as Permitted Development then you will be required to submit an application for Planning Permission.

The Customer Information Team is able to discuss any proposed development and offer guidance as to whether Planning Permission is required. However, their advice is not binding in law and you are advised to apply for a ‘Certificate of Lawfulness’ for your proposed development.

What type of Application do I need to submit?
Once it has been established that Planning Permission is required, then you can submit either an ‘Outline’ or ‘Full’ Planning Application. The ‘outline’ application will give an agreement to your application in principle and further information will be required before work can begin. A ‘full’ application, requires the submission of detailed proposals and once approved will give you permission to commence work on site.

How can I submit an application?
The Council is now able to receive Planning applications online via the Planning Portal. The Portal has dedicated sections for the general public and planning professionals.

Alternatively, applications may be sent by post to the following address:

Development Control
Seaclose Offices
Fairlee Road
Isle of Wight
PO30 2QS

Material Considerations
The starting point for the determination of any planning application is an assessment of national and local planning policies. The Council then needs to assess the details of the application, giving weight only to material considerations.

Building Regulation Approval may be required alongside Planning Permission, and also in cases where Planning Permission is not required. Please consult the Building Control section for further guidance.

Page last updated on: 15/12/2005