A-Z Council Services

FInd us on Facebook

FInd us on Twitter

Click here to read the One Island Magazine

Children and Young Peoples Services

Services for Adults on the Isle of Wight

Back to Adult Services Homepage

Carers Adult Social Care

Carer’s Assessment

The Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000 entitles you to a carer’s assessment and to receive services in your own right, even if the person you care for refuses outside assistance.

The Act also gives local authorities the power to charge carers for some services that are delivered directly to them. You should ask at your social services office about any charges before you commit yourself to receive any service.

The assessment could be very important for you – it will give you the chance to think about yourself and you can set the agenda. If you want, you could have an assessment at the same time as the person you care for, as the help offered to them could benefit you too. Either way, the assessment is free, and does not commit you to anything, but it does mean that you have a chance to get your point of view across.

After the assessment, social services will give you a copy of what was written at the interview and keep you involved as they make decisions about what, if any, help they can offer you.

If you decide to have a carer’s assessment, it is important to think about what you want to get out of it and talk through the options with the person you care for before it happens. You need to think about what is best for you and the person you care for. You need to consider the impact that being a carer will have on you and those around you, both now and in the future. It is important to remember that many illnesses and disabilities may get worse over time, and, even if you feel able to cope right now, you may not always be able to do so. Remember, no one can force you to provide care, even though, at times, you may feel you have no choice.

Hopefully, the answers you have come up with will give you an idea of the sort of help you need. Don’t be embarrassed to ask for that help – you are entitled to it. Your task at the assessment is to try and establish, with the help of social services where you can best get the help you need.

Don’t decide what you think an organisation can do before you have spoken to them. Go to the assessment with an open mind – you may be surprised at what is on offer.

When you feel ready for your carer’s assessment, just talk to your social services worker or care co-ordinator or, if you have not had previous contact, call the social services First Response Team on (01983) 814980.

Following your assessment, and if they can’t help directly, social services may look for other sources of help and advise you on paying for such help. Or they will tell you where help is available and you will have the choice of organising it yourself.